Wednesday 14 July 2021

I had an aluminum box for carrying books to school in late 1960s




If you were born in the 1960s and upto mid 1970s, you can relate to the attached photos which I could do from my own school days in a premium centre of learning, viz. St. Patrick's H S School in Asansol, West Bengal. 

I still have some memories of the day (unfortunately, can't remember the month or year) when Baba bought me this shining aluminum box for me to carry my school books, exercise copies, pencil box and my tiffin box. It was after the old brown coloured leather bound cardboard suitcase burst one day while returning from school from Asansol to Barakar in a public bus named Waheguru which used to be driven by a very caring sardarji uncle on the Durgapur to Chittaranjan via Batakar route. The sardarji driver uncle had firmly tied the suitcase with a cord to prevent the contents from spilling over. Presumably it was sometimes in late 1960s. The travelling cobbler tried to mend it twice or thrice within a span of 1 - 2 month sitting under the eucalyptus tree of our sprawling house in Barakar. The old suitcase refused to survive the weight of my school books. I used the aluminum box for 2 - 3 years before it was passed on to my brother who joined the same school. 

On Tuesday 2021-07-13, I went to meet Ma at Behala almost after 3 months. Since I was quite free, I was rummaging through old stuff in the house and was surprised to find how carefully Ma has preserved the box to store her sewing items. I couldn't spot a single dent in the box and it opened and closed as if it was brand new. 
The box should be at least 50 years old, but  it brought back so many childhood memories. 

How much I wish I could go back to those lovely days. 



* Timeless Fond Recollections 
* Recollections From St Patricks School Days

No comments:

Post a Comment